Spiritual formation is the process of a community being formed in the image of Christ for the sake of others. Growing in Christ involves both the inner life of faith and the outward life of service to others.
Vision: Unified by Grace, it is our hope to build a community of disciples who are open to God, allowing Christ to transform our lives as we commit to be vulnerable with one another within our church body, and open to all as we boldly step out beyond our walls into the surrounding communities and the world.
Purpose: Our purpose is to recruit and equip followers of Jesus Christ. To help people grow in their faith and calling in the world as we integrate this ministry of transformation into the life of the church by offering adults opportunities for spiritual growth and deepening within their inner life with God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit through prayer, study, and reflection. This ministry will reach out to our church body, surrounding communities and the world.
John 15:8. “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.”
Guiding principles/values for this ministry:
- Scripture based, Christ centered
- contemplative and non-contemplative
- consider various ages, stages of faith development, and walks of life
- encourage both inner growth and outward service
- seek to deepen our own faith lives as we walk alongside others to help them deepen theirs
- support one another in our callings as we affirm our gifts
- provide prayer support and encouragement for one another as we engage in life while promoting healing and wholeness in the church, community and the world.
- participate in a ministry team/partnership that is collegial not hierarchical
Questions to Grow into:
- Where is God drawing our attention?
- How are we feeling about a balance between contemplative and non-contemplative opportunities?
- What is the relationship between what we will offer and what other ministries offer?
- Are we, COH, being called to a vision of transformation in ALL our ministries & activities?
- How can we come alongside other ministries to bring faith formation ideas and practices to them?
- How can we attract more members to our team?
- How can we better engage men?
- How do we reach outside COH to the larger community and the world?
- Possibly, down the road, we could establish a partnership with Christos Community in Lino Lakes as they desire to have more of a presence in the western suburbs.
- Many seeds have been planted…it is yet to be seen how God might choose to grow this ministry during this season in the life of COH. How can we fan the embers?
Active Bible Studies:
Sunday mornings – 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Brenda Christensen, facilitator
Wednesday mornings – women’s – 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Stefani Lekkas, facilitator
Wednesday evenings – women’s – 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Tracy Hierlinger, facilitator
Wednesday evenings – men’s – 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Anthony Schaefer, facilitator
Every other Friday morning – women’s – 8:30-9:30 a.m.
at local Caribou Coffee Shop
Saturday mornings – men’s – 7:00-8:00 a.m.
Dunn Brothers Coffee Shop Doug Dickhausen, facilitator